Many Australians still secure their roof ridge caps using the established ‘wet’ technique of mortar and pointing. However, this is steadily being phased out. But why exactly should we not be using mortar and pointing, and what is the alternative?
The problems with mortar and pointing
The wet ridge system is the traditional way to fix roof tiles using mortar, and may still be necessary for some older style period properties. However, the effectiveness of mortar can be compromised by a whole range of variables, from how weak the mixture is to environmental conditions, and as such can reduce longevity. This has led many to adopt an alternative; a more mechanical means of fixing their roof caps.
What is the dry fixed system?
The dry fixed system is steadily becoming a more popular form of securing roof tiles in Australia. And it’s about time. It has actually been utilised across Europe for many years. But why?
Unlike the wet system, dry fixed roof tiling utilises smechanical fixings to attach ridge tiles. These effectively join each tile, securing them to the roof. A weather-tight fleece is place over the ridge and adhered to the tiles with butyl strips.
Dry fixed roofs can be set up in any climatic conditions and do not degrade over time. They also require minimal to no maintenance at all. Considering that these types of roofs are set up once and forgotten, they are more cost-effective when compared to traditional ridging.
The popular alternative to mortar and pointing
RapidRidge is one of the most popular forms of dry fixing and is now available in Australia. It is quick and easy to install and creates no mess, unlike mortar and pointing. Here are some advantages of RapidRidge over mortar and pointing:
• RapidRidge is considered one of the most durable solutions in roof building
• It incurs lower installation costs
• This one product can be applied to both hip and ridge tiles, and installed in most weather conditions
• Lightweight yet weather tight for better protection from the elements
And when paired with the ventilation option:
• Your home will become cooler and a healthier place to live
• With RapidRidge, you get a completely passive system that requires no maintenance while offering all the advantages of roof ventilation
• You can save up to 43% on cooling costs each year
If you are still searching for the best alternative to mortar and pointing, why not consider RapidRidge. Talk to us today at Evo Building Products. Give us a call on 02 9666 1069 or email firstname.lastname@example.org