If you don’t maintain a healthy roof, you’re inviting various types of damage into your home, costing you a lot in damages and potentially ruining your home beyond repair. Therefore, you must call a roofing specialist to inspect it when necessary.
However, when is the best time to do this? Continue reading to learn why you should call a roofing expert and when to do it.
How Can You See Signs of Roof Damage That Need Roof Restorations?
The most common reason to call a roofing expert is because of damage to the roof. However, you need to know what to look for before making the call.
How to Spot Exterior Roof Damage
Here are some examples of exterior roof damage you can spot:
- Damage to the shingles – If there are cracks in the shingles or missing ones, adverse weather can penetrate the roof.
- Curling shingles – Similar to spotting damage, but curling shingles leave larger gaps for rainwater to enter.
- Shingle granules falling into the gutters – This can partially block the gutter but is also a sign that your roof shingles are deteriorating.
- Growth of moss – This can be a sign that the roof granules are not preserving the roof.
How to Spot Interior Roof Damage
Here are some signs of interior roof damage you can spot:
- Water stains on the walls – You shouldn’t leave it this late; if you spot this, call a specialist immediately.
- Leaks – This means there are gaps in the roof, and the water can leak through a stain or an opening in the wall.
- Peeling wallpaper – Stains on the walls can affect the wallpaper, so peel it back to find water damage if you spot peeling.
Does the Roof Age and Lack of Roof Maintenance Play a Part?
You must be aware of how long your roofing materials last to plan a roof replacement or repair. For example, a metal roof can last between 40 and 70 years on average.
Additionally, not inspecting your roof regularly can lead to potential damage.
Why is Inspecting Your Roof Regularly Essential?
If you maintain your roof correctly, you can prolong its life to near the maximum lifespan.
Therefore, you should inspect your roof multiple times a year and hire roofing contractors.
Should You Consider the Impact of the Weather on Your Roof?
Although you now know how to spot several types of roof damage, understanding the causes can be crucial to giving your roof a longer life.
The leading causes of roof damage are adverse weather and aspects of the climate.
The Impact of Extreme Weather on a Roof
Extreme weather can cause significant external damage to your roof, leading to costly internal damage like leaks and stains.
While rain is what will penetrate the roof, other extreme weather events can cause damage that allows rain to slip through the cracks.
Here are some examples of extreme weather events that can cause roof damage:
- Hailstorms can create cracks in the roof shingles and make them fall off, allowing rainwater to seep through. Hailstorms can also damage the gutters, preventing water from escaping the roof.
- A massive buildup of ice and snow can damage the roof if you don’t scrape it off; it will melt, leaving a lot of water on the roof.
- Strong winds can remove roof shingles or blow small pieces of debris into them. The debris can also damage the gutter, preventing water from flowing from the roof safely.
Does the Climate Impact Your Roof?
Extreme weather is not the only thing that can impact your roof. The climate can degrade the roof gradually or damage it directly. Here are some ways that the climate can damage your roof:
- Scorching weather can dry out the shingles and degrade them if they don’t have protection. A dry roof system like our product on RapidRidge can solve this problem.
- Rain and humid weather can result in water slipping through the shingles or degrading them over time; this is one of the most common ways water can damage your home.
You also need to remember that the climate won’t affect different roof materials in the same way. For example, clay tiles resist well to hot weather.
Should You Call Roofing Contractors for a Roof Replacement or Repair?
Although hiring an expert for their roofing services has multiple benefits, you can do it yourself.
If you choose to no hire roof services, you will save money and can start whenever you want. However, you may not repair your roof to the highest standards without expertise.
Additionally, although you won’t have to pay an upfront cost to a professional roofer, you may incur more money by buying the equipment you need for the job. Unless you are comfortable repairing or replacing your roof and have the equipment, we recommend you hire a professional.
When you hire a roofing professional for roof restorations, you get peace of mind along with a repaired roof. Roofing can be stressful and dangerous if you don’t know what you’re doing; a professional roofer can take this stress away from you. They can also provider honest advice on how to maintain your roof.
When Should You Check Your Roof for Damage?
Now you know what to look for when checking for roof damage, you should know when to do it.
The main thing to remember is to inspect your roof regularly; it can degrade without you knowing if you leave it.
Additionally, roof inspections are necessary if you have a new home (or new roof) or after an extreme weather event.
What Time of Year is Best For Inspecting Your Roof?
We recommend Spring or Autumn as the best times for checking your roof because the weather is milder, and conditions like snow or a heatwave are less likely.
Also, a roofing professional will want to work when the weather is mild because working in very hot or cold conditions can be challenging and potentially unsafe.
When Should You Call a Roofing Specialist for an Emergency Repair?
You should call a professional roofer for re-roofing or repair when necessary. If you only have a few cracks in the shingles, paying for roofing services is pointless.
You should wait until your roof is severely compromised or cannot protect your home. For example, when water suddenly leaks through the roof to your walls, when you can see significant damage to the roof’s structure, or when you spot signs of roof collapse.
How Do You Find a Roofing Specialist?
Research is crucial to find an excellent roofing specialist. You can research professionals in your area, read reviews to determine their quality, and acquire a free quote from multiple roofers.
Does Roofing Insurance Matter?
You must check if roofing professionals have a proper licence and insurance, as well as researching them and getting a free quote.
If a roofer has a proper licence, they can meet the standards for excellent roofing service. Also, check that they have liability insurance so you’re covered if they damage your roof further. They should also have worker’s compensation to cover them if they injure themselves on your roof.
Final Thoughts on the Best Time to Call a Roofing Expert
In summary, you must arrange regular roof inspections to maintain it properly. Also, remember to call a roofing professional for emergency repairs and roof replacements when necessary.
If you find evidence of roof damage, don’t wait. Call a roofer immediately to solve the problem.
If you want an excellent quality roof that needs minimal maintenance, contact Rapidridge.