Using lead flashings to keep your home dry.
Lead flashings have been around a very long time and is still surprisingly widely used across Australia, despite the difficulty in handling eg weight and toxicity issues and installing eg dressing to roof profile. Although less and less resellers are now stocking lead flashings due to the growth of better lead free alternatives such as www.wakaflex.com.au it can still be purchased in many hardware and plumbing outlets.
Before you get started it’s important to understand that using lead on your home does require some specific installation criteria to be met, these are specified in detail in the Building Code Australia (BCA). It should be noted that requirements do vary and may supersede BCA from state to state across the country but the following requirements are pretty standard;
- 20KG MUST be used for all exposed flashings (or min 1.7mm thick)
- Lengths should be no longer than 1.5mtr to allow for expansion and contraction
- Where the roof is part of a drinking water catchment, sheet lead should not be used
See how lead free installation compares to lead on our video below:
- As a first step find a clear workspace on the ground to roll out the lead rolls and get all required tools close to hand
- Prepare the roof surface for installation
- Cut lead sheets to the regulation required length of 1.5mtr on the ground.
- Having taken the measurements on the roof of the required folds in the lead to fit the job being done, using a length of timber mark out the lead along the width of the roll to fold it.
- Dress the lead to the required angle with a lead beater. Do this for all 1.5mtr lengths.
- On completion have these 1.5mtr lengths passed up onto the roof and move into position for installation
- Fix the lead lengths into position but ensure there is sufficient overlap of each length as specified in BCA requirements or state specific regulations, this is usually min 150mm. It should be noted at this stage that all flashings should be chased into the wall or over flashed. In our video example we are over flashing it with an older existing lead flashing.
- With lead fixed into position dress lead overhang to the roof tile profile with a lead beater
For video of the above and for a step by step guide to install Lead Free Wakaflex on the same job take a look at our video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnzWEyfwaLU
For more information on the dangers of using lead click here.